Carbon Monoxide and your safety
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)?
You can’t taste or smell CO, but it is a very dangerous gas, produced when any fuel burns. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked.
CO CAN BE DEADLY! High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick (see below). In extreme cases, CO can cause brain damage or death.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
IF YOU SUSPECT CO IS PRESENT, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
- If you or a family member shows physical signs of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
- If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air, and turn off appliances you suspect may be releasing CO.
- If no one has symptoms, but you suspect that CO is present, call your propane retailer or qualified service technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.
TO HELP REDUCE THE RISK OF CO POISONING:
- Have a qualified service technician check your propane appliances and related venting systems annually, preferably before the heating season begins.
- Install UL listed CO detectors on every level of your home.
- Never use a has oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
- Never use portable heaters indoors unless they are designed and approved for indoor use.
- Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.
- Regularly check your appliances exhaust vents for blockage.
SIGNS OF IMPROPER APPLIANCE OPERATION THAT CAN GENERATE HIGH CO LEVELS:
- Sooting, especially on appliances and vents
- Unfamiliar or burning odor
- Increased moisture inside of windows